Wednesday, November 4, 2009

While We're Waiting to Get Started.....

This past sunday at church we started a series on Colossians. I started reading around the book in my little Message purse Bible in church and I found this very cool verse at the very beginning in chapter 1, verses 3-5:


"Our prayers for you are always spilling over into thanksgivings. We can't quit thanking God our Father and Jesus our Messiah for you! We keep getting reports on your steady faith in Christ, our Jesus, and the love you continuously extend to all Christians. The lines of purpose in your lives never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by hope."
I love that part at the end! The hope is what sticks out to me :) In my mind I picture what the lines of purpose in our lives would look like if they were not kept taut --- words that come to mind are loose, uninterested, bored, uninvolved --- how discouraging does that all sound? You take the hope out and it's a different story. I read another definition one time that hope can be phrased as alert expectancy. Our hope is in Jesus and our hope is Jesus, and that relationship and that love are what keeps us alert and expectant of our purpose and our future in heaven. Isn't that fantastic??! :)



While we are waiting to get started I would love for us to start praying for each other. You guys are already on my mind a lot and I would like to know how to pray for you. I would really like each of us to post in a comment one verse that we can be praying over you for the next two months. I love praying scripture for people --- i wonder if it's because I'm never sure quite how to pray, but I figure you absolutely cannot go wrong praying a specific verse for someone??? :) Put some thought into it, and get ready for God to start working on you in that area. The women on this blog are powerful prayer warriors which makes me think we should approach this with an alert expectancy for God to work and change. Hold on!



Is everyone finding the book ok? Hope you all are having a great week!

7 comments:

  1. I have set the LORD always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.
    Psalm 16:8

    I need prayers of confidence in the Lord in this season of life. I'm having a really difficult time with the loss of family members and on Sunday I felt the need to start building confidence that God has the best for me, even though life is painful at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, i love you so much!

    i should have shared mine earlier too ---

    Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
    Isaiah 43:1

    Oh I need this in my life! Thanks for praying friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:19 (NLT)

    I need to worry less and pray more! Thank you ladies for joining me!

    PS I got my book today-- and one for my mentoring student and one for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. " For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
    Ephesians 2:10

    I am in a time of seeking God's purpose for my life right now. Trying to find where and how I can serve him through my very average stay-at-home mom life. This verse excites me because it states that God has already prepared these things for me to do. I just have to be paying attention and do them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trust in Thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever." - Isaiah 26:3

    I have been convicted over the past couple of monthes that I need to deal with my trust issues instead of just accepting that I have them. I desire to have the peace of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a specific verse and prayer for the next week or so - I am in the midst of finishing the manuscript for a book due to the publisher very soon. The work is REALLY hard and grueling. Ella, my 5 year old daughter has been praying this for me and I am also praying it for myself:
    Colossians 3:23 (She learned it in the New King James Version)

    Whatever you do (or write) do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men.

    I'm doing this work for God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm. . .i would love prayer for a continued strenghtening of love in my heart for my family and for Jesus, especially this time of year when there are so many different directions we all get pulled and it's easy for my focus to become muddled.

    "through jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess his name. . .may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever. amen."

    end of Hebrews 13

    ReplyDelete